So, yesterday was too crazy to post. And now that it's passed, it was too crazy *not to post* about it. Some decent storms Sunday night led to no power around 9:00, which came back on about 10:30. Winds woke us up about 3ish? And when I say winds, I mean WINDS... it sounded like a train. My hubby and I came from tornado alley, we grew up in it, and never experienced those winds this close. The tornadoes we watched were from afar (the best kind) :) So, it was a bit nerve wrecking. We then lost power to part of the house... luckily the kids' bedroom outlets still worked, so fans helped stifle the thunder and wind noise. It worried us however because we didn't know if we lost breakers or not. We decided to just wait it out until morning and luckily power came back around 6-7am, but flickering. We came to find out that the heat and well pump weren't working, so we used as little power as possible. The power lines from the pole had broken away from the house basically - I think it was weak from the ice storms recently, and the limb that fell Sunday night just did it in. The electric company only gave it a "quick fix" so we'd at least have power, but told us we needed a professional electrician to repair it (but also said that he wouldn't need the power turned off to do it). Well, umm, my husband WAS the "professional electrician"... I'm so darned proud of him! I cannot begin to tell you how nervous I was with him, not only on a steep roof, but messing with high voltage electrical wires (or close to them!). And he is less than confident in the heights department! But, he did an awesome, perfect, FREE job! I love my handy man!

You couldn't pay me...
Oh, and did I mention we lost part of the roof on our pole barn? We found it out by the creek. It's going to have to be disassembled then reassembled on the roof, as it's very heavy! That will be left for a dry, warm day...
It is now sunny and supposed to get up to 47° after a low of 22° - this also means SAP! I'll be watching the trees closely, as the bags have a tendency to fall when they get too heavy. We'll be switching to buckets next year and tying them to the tree to prevent swaying in the breeze. You learn by default... we figured the bags wouldn't rust and thus last longer... we were wrong ; ) We've already lost 4 - gone. We do, however, have almost another full pot ready to boil - I'm excited, more syrup! I can't believe how much we'll have our very first year...
"Be joyful, brothers and sisters. Keep your faith, and do the little things that you have seen and heard with me."
St. David of Wales, pray for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment